Searching for ways to keep your skin in optimum condition as you approach and progress through your 30s?
In this article, we’ve shared some of our favourite dietary and skincare tips to help you maintain a youthful complexion.
1. Make sure that your diet includes a healthy source of omega (found in fish, olive oil and selected fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds), which is believed to gradually reverse sun damage due to its antioxidant properties.
2. Consume plenty of protein, which supports the skin in the production of natural collagen and elastin - both essential in order to maintain the skin’s youthfulness.
3. As they’re rich in antioxidants, introducing berries to your diet could help increase the level of collagen produced by your skin.
4. We’re huge fans of superfoods because they contain beta carotene/lycopene which help to repair damaged cells, making them beneficial for all ages, but especially people aged 30+. The superfood category is extremely broad, ranging from fish and leafy greens, to wholegrains and yoghurt.
5. Because they are silicone-rich (just like peppers and spinach), tomatoes are a great choice for 30+ skin, helping to tackle fine lines and wrinkles.
6. Make Vitamin C a staple within your diet - think oranges, kiwi, peppers, broccoli - to help stimulate collagen synthesis within the skin.
7. Sadly, consuming too much sugar can react with the proteins found within the skin and lead to an increase in the signs of ageing. Our recommendation? Keep sweet treats to a minimum.
8. Stay hydrated. Drinking plenty of water really is important to keep your skin quenched from the inside-out.
1. Retinoids really took the skincare industry by storm in 2018, when they were scientifically proven (by the BBC) to help promote a more youthful complexion. Topically introducing retinol to your skincare regime, whether applied in a serum or cream format, is most beneficial for those in their 30s-40s who are looking to address deeper lines and wrinkles.
2. As the skin around the eye region is the thinnest skin on your face, it’s most likely to show the signs of ageing faster, so preventative measures (such as eye creams) are key for those looking to tackle the first signs of ageing.
3. Hyaluronic Acid is an incredibly powerful ingredient that helps to rehydrate and keep the skin plump, returning it to its normal pH level. Reach for a leave-on formula for maximum results - ideally a night cream to allow the skin to soak in the goodness when the skin is believed to be most receptive to recovery, and wake up with a luminous, balanced complexion.
4. Thoroughly exfoliate your skin - ideally with an AHA or BHA - to improve general skin tone and prevent future wrinkles.
5. Protection against sun damage is really important to minimise the future signs of ageing, such as fine lines and wrinkles. Applying a sun cream which contains zinc alongside your daily moisturiser means that the application will be non-greasy and potentially less irritating on the skin.
6. Applying a thick layer of night cream to the skin is extremely important (especially as we approach our 40s), in order to improve and increase skin regeneration during the night.
7. Topically applying Vitamin C (as well as consuming it) helps to improve collagen synthesis for a softer and plumper complexion.
Searching for more skincare tips from the Super Facialist team? Click here.